Monday, November 16, 2009

"I've got mine..."

I don't have health insurance. My dentist just emailed me about a December cleaning. I emailed back and said I don't have insurance and I need to cancel the cleaning.

Friday I had a dizzy spell. It was so strong I had to sit down as I was afraid I might fall down. I was too meet someone and had to cancel our plans. I had the dizzy spell again this morning. My action to this possible health crisis: cross my fingers.

A Harvard Medical School study released in September found that 45,000 Americans die annually because they lack health insurance, 2.5 times more than was estimated in a 2002 study.

The National Association of Free Clinics, a nonprofit organization started to help third world countries, is hosting a clinic today in New Orleans, USA. They estimate that 80% of the people they will see have a job but insufficient health insurance.

For those who feel "I've got health insurance, figure your own sh%t out" I say, "it could be you one day." Attempt empathy and compassion. Here are some other people with situations worse than dizzy spells.


No comments: