Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Are we Living Life to the Fullest?


Pretty heavy duty to learn that a high school classmate of yours just died of cancer.

I read about it on Facebook and saw the tribute video that was made on the request of the dying classmate of mine on YouTube. How the times have changed.

I didn't know Tracy Ann Leonardo very well and over twenty years have passed since I have even seen here in the halls of Northport High School, but seeing the posting on Facebook stopped all my thoughts. Here is someone who I once sat in class with and now I am reading about her final days on her blog. I am thinking about the husband and son and immediate family and extended family, friends and acquaintances left to grieve her passing and it makes all of my gripes with work, our government, and my dirty kitchen seem so petty.

Even though, as a Buddhist, I fully embrace and am at peace with the fact that life is impermanent and that my mother, my sisters, my nephew, my father and my friends will all leave this life at some time, it is sobering to learn of one of my high school classmates dying.

From her blog, it seems she lead a happy and fulfilling life. Makes me stop, reconsider my priorities and think if I am living my life to the fullest.


No comments: