Friday, December 5, 2008

How did we get Here Again?

Gerald Rudolph Ford, Jr., 38th president of the USA

I turned my computer on this morning to this lead story on the BBC.com:
US job losses reach 34-year high

US unemployment rose by 533,000 in November, official figures show, the biggest one-month rise since 1974.
Not exactly remembering who was president when I was seven, I Googled:
president 1974
I actually Googled "presedent 1974" as I'm not a great speller, but that's beside the point. And I guessed Nixon and for the first seven months of 1974, Nixon was pres. But I digress.

Ford took over when Nixon resigned. The first link that appeared in my search was the USA government website on Gerald R. Ford. This was the third paragraph:
Ford was confronted with almost insuperable tasks. There were the challenges of mastering inflation, reviving a depressed economy, solving chronic energy shortages, and trying to ensure world peace.
So it was Richard Milhous Nixon, 37th president of the United States, who brought us to a place not too unlike today. And my next thought is, "The GOP: destroying the USA for the masses (at least in my lifetime)." But we keep on electing these people. Nixon, Reagan, Bush & Bush. And the same thing always happens: more USA instigated wars around the world, more economic hardship in the United States (for everyone not in the top 2% economically at least).

My friend Oliver once told me part of the definition of insanity is, "doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome," or something along those lines. And this makes sense. America must be insane.

My assistant as school recently told me that he heard SUV sales are on the rise again since gas has gone bellow $3 a gallon. Insane.




1 comment:

jcking said...

See the articles about the gas shortage from 1977-1980.
This country has ADD, and Parkinsons combined.